Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Found a blue feather on the ground......

 As I was walking through the gate of a cemetery after attending a funeral a few years ago I noticed this feather in the grass under the pine trees. The blue caught my eye, I picked it up & put it in my bag. I have a collection of feathers in a turquoise glass jug in my art room, the blue feather joined the collection.
 This is the first layer of colour on the canvas, at this stage I had no image in mind, just playing with pastel colours.
 Just continued changing colours, turning the canvas to make the paint run in different directions.

 Adding more layers....
 What would a dark border look like?
 Made scratchy lines with thin wire dipped in dark paint.....
 It needs blue.......
 more blue......more drips...
 more blue, lighter now......starting to like the patches of  warm colours showing through from the previous layers....is something happening now?
 change again, add aqua.....
 remove the dark border.......still no image in mind,  creating texture using just paint.....looking better now......but not finished .....now I know it needs a dark against the light background!
 Then I saw my blue feather.....
 To finish I lightly sanded back some of the blues to reveal more of the warm under layers of paint.
Blue feather.

Sometimes painting without pressure, with no real or imaginary image to try to reproduce or create is a much more pleasurable experience. I enjoy letting go & trying something just for the fun of it, sometimes I end up with a painting I am  pleased with, sometimes not......but sometimes one thing leads to another & creates a feeling, atmosphere, texture, colour, a memory......an image: imaginary or real.
Yes I am happy with this painting!
(raylee).

1 comment:

  1. yay...what a process...how clever of you to see just what needs doing...lovely.. I still like the rusty look in the middle of the process...but that feather had a story and you were the girl to tell it...nice..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...